1963 Crash Cover.

        Here is something a bit different.

        On 3 July 1963, a NAC Douglas DC-3 crashed into the Kaimai Ranges in New Zealand's North Island while flying in clouds and turbulence. The aircraft was flying from Whenuapai Airport, in Auckland, to Tauranga.

       The crash happened when the aircraft struck a vertical rock face after encountering a strong downdraft. The aircraft may also have commenced an early descent with the pilots unaware of the true position of the aircraft, on the wrong side of the ranges. All 23 people on board were killed. The wreckage remains on the hillside to this day, with a small memorial cairn beside it.

The NAC DC 3 at it was in 1963, partly covered by trees. You can see how damaged it is. Today the aircraft is totally covered by trees and impossible to see from the air.
       

Cover from the wreck of  NAC DC3 ZK-AYZ "City of Hastings."

        During recovery of the bodies and personal items, reportedly 168 pieces of mail were salvaged, but only a few of them were ever seen again. Above we can see one of these letters, damaged and partly burnt. What I like about this cover is the clear post mark showing 2nd July, 1963 and the three 1d stamps from the 1960 definitive series. It is a really interesting Postal History item.

Certificate confirming it came from the crash.

          When the letter was finally delivered it was accompanied by this certificate from the postmaster explaining why the letter was in such a damaged state. It reads - "The enclosed letter has been recovered from the plane which crashed on the Kaimai Range on 3rd July. I am sorry for the damaged condition." 
Of course today the certificate supports and proves the claim that this letter did in fact survived the plane crash and eventually reached the person it was addressed to mid July. I think that is still fairly quick considering what this poor little letter has been through. 

Comments

  1. This is an interesting cover Allan / Mary.
    I like the way you have added proof that it is real.
    Ayaka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post brings back memories for me. I was living in Tauranga at the time and had to attend a conference in Auckland. Since we were very busy the company flew me up instead of driving. After the conference I was due to fly on that flight but things held me up and I booked a later flight. In the end I actually went home on the train. I will never forget how fate played its hand for me that day.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for that story you shared with us. To have been on the flight and then missed it. What did you think when you heard the plane had gone down? You must feel very lucky. There are some from those Malaysia Airlines flights that are feeling the same today too.
      You must be a bit older than I to have been working then.
      Mary

      Delete
    3. Thank you Mary
      Feelings? As I remember they were mixed. Some feelings of relief and jubilation that I had missed that flight. At other times feelings guilt and sorrow too. But in the end it was really beyond my control. Fate dealt its hand to me that day and I was saved and others were lost. I suppose with something like this its those left behind we should feel sorry for.
      I am eighty-two, Mary.
      Laurie.

      Delete
    4. Laurie
      I can understand the feelings of relief and jubilation but feels of guilt? It wasn't your fault your trip was delayed. You didn't decide, "This flight is not going to make it. I'll go on the next one." So why feel guilty?
      John.

      Delete
    5. Wow two comments today!
      Hello Laurie Hello John.
      I am interested in your reaction to the crash and you lucky escape. I agree with John in that one would be expected to feel relief, joy and even celebrate at your lucky escape, but guilt is harder to understand. Twice now you have mentioned fate, therefore you obviously realise the situation was beyond your control. Would what you describe as guilt, be more out of sympathy and sorrow for those killed and their loved ones?
      Mary

      Delete
  2. I have been reading this blog for a long time, almost from when I first arrived in New Zealand. For some unknown reason I have completely missed this page.

    What an amazing story that this poor little letter survived the crash and actually was delivered. I also like what that man said about missing being on that flight. We react in unusual ways to an experience like his. While guilt is hard for others to understand, it was real for him.

    You must keep this page safe as there are three important historical aspects. First the cover itself, second the letter explaining it, third the story of the man Laurie who 'fate' saved that day.
    Nina.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We appreciate your engagement with our content. To ensure a respectful and constructive community, please take note of the following:

- No Spam, Please: We do not tolerate spammy or promotional comments. Any such comments will be promptly removed.

- Moderation in Place: All comments are moderated to maintain a positive and inclusive environment. Please be patient, as it may take a little time for your comment to appear.

- Sign In with Google: To comment, please sign in using your Google account. This helps us maintain the integrity of our community and allows for better interaction.